Shandon Bells

Situated on the North side of the City this church attracts many visitors for its famous “Shandon Bells”.

This Anglican Church has been a place of worship for over 280 years and is one of the oldest Churches in continuous use in the city of Cork. Dating from 1722 St Anne’s was originally built as a chapel of ease for the older parish church of St Mary Shandon. This Norman Church was destroyed during the siege of Cork in 1690 and was rebuilt in Lower Shandon away from its original site.

The imposing tower is faced in cut-limestone on its south and west faces (those visible from the old walled city) and in red sandstone rubble on the north and east faces. The original tower was raised in height in 1750 to accommodate the new bells which were cast in Gloucester by Abel Rudhall. The Bells of Shandon first rang out across the city for the wedding of Mr Henry Harding and Miss Catherine Dorgan on the 7th December in 1752. Many people propose at the top of the Shandon Tower’s breath-taking view.